The 9th Annual Donna Marie Haire Young Artist Competition will be held in Denton, TX, on May (TBD), 2020. This flute competition is open to all school age flutists who will graduate high school during or after the 2019-2020 school year. Winners will receive cash prizes to further their flute studies. The first and second place winners will be awarded $1000 and $500, respectively.
Preliminary (recorded) Round:
- Partita in A Minor by J. S. Bach (3rd movement: Sarabande beginning to first repeat)
- 3 Preludes for Unaccompanied Flute by Robert Muczynski (1st Movement: Allegro)
Required Selection – La Flute de Pan by Jules Mouquet (3rd movement: Pan et les Nymphs)
Flutists selected for the Final Round will prepare a 15-minute program of their own choosing which includes the required piece.
The program should include a piece or pieces reflecting a wide variety of styles and/or periods. This may include single movements of works, sonatas, concerti, and unaccompanied pieces. It is not necessary to perform all movements of a single work but any individual movement of a work must be performed in its entirety. Cuts may be made in the accompaniment and repeats may be deleted. Entire variations may be omitted, as long as a minimum of 75% of the piece is performed.
Procedures and Deadlines
- To participate in this competition, school aged applicants must (1) upload mp3 recordings of the preliminary round repertoire, (2) submit the online application form, and (3) pay the nonrefundable application fee ($30) via PayPal/credit card.
- All entrants must be current student members of the Texas Flute Society in order to participate. Entrants may join either before the competition application is submitted (use the Individual Membership Application form) or when the competition application form is submitted.
- Entries must be submitted by March 15, 2019, 11:59PM CST.
- Preliminary round recordings must be unedited and without accompaniment. Each selection should be recorded individually in one performance.
- There must be NO identifying personal information in the MP3 tags of the recording.
- Entrants are advised that the recording quality may affect results of the preliminary round.
- Finalists will be notified by April 1, 2018.
- Flutists selected from the preliminary round must be prepared to submit their entire 15-minute program for the Final Round by April 15, 2018.
- Finalists are responsible for arranging their own pianist or requesting one from the Competition Coordinator. Finalists are responsible for the accompanist’s fee.
- Finalists are responsible for their own travel arrangements and expenses.
- All performances are open to the public.
- All judges’ decisions are final.
For more information, please contact the Competition Coordinator.