The Masterclass Competition for this year’s festival provides an opportunity for flutists of all ages to perform for our Guest Artists. The 2022 festival will take place on May 19th-21st and the competition includes:
- High School Solo performing for Helen Blackburn.
- College & Adult Solo performing for Valerie Coleman
- Junior High School Solo performing for You Yang
For the College/Adult Solo Competition, applicants are also encouraged (but not required) to submit works that
- are unaccompanied
- are written by living composers
- include extended techniques
NOTE: Winners of any division are ineligible to to reapply for the same division in future years.
Procedures and Deadlines
- To participate in this competition, applicants must apply online, upload their mp3 recordings (any flute solo of your choice), and pay the nonrefundable application fee ($25) using the form below.
- Entries must be submitted by March 15th, 2022!
- There must be NO identifying personal information in the MP3 tags of the recording.
- Recordings will be coded and sent to a judging committee.
- Works written for flute and accompaniment must be recorded using both instruments.
- Performers who wish to play for a specialist on Friday or Saturday at the festival must apply using the festival registration form.
- All entrants must be current members of the Texas Flute Society in order to participate. Entrants may join either before the competition application is submitted (use the Individual Membership Application form) or when the competition application form is submitted.
- Selected performers will be notified by late April.
For more information, please contact the Competition Coordinator.