The 32nd Annual Myrna W. Brown Artist Competition will be held in Denton, TX, on May 18-20, 2017. This flute competition is open to all flutists. No age limit! The winner of the competition will receive a $1,200 cash prize and be invited to appear as a guest artist at the Texas Flute Festival the year following the competition. Second and Third Place Winners will be awarded $500 and $250 respectively.
Preliminary (recorded) Round:
- Fantaisie No. 1 in D Major, Op. 38 (Adagio only) by Kuhlau
- The Great Train Race by Ian Clarke
Semifinal and Final Rounds
The piece required for both the Semifinal and Final rounds will be a new work commissioned especially for the 2017 Myrna Brown competition. The piece will be approximately 5-6 minutes in length. This music will be sent with semifinalist notification. Flutists selected to the Semifinal and Final Rounds will prepare a 25-minute program of their own choosing which includes the required piece. The Semifinal Round requires 15 minutes of music and must include the required piece. The Final Round will be the entire program. The time limits for both rounds excludes any time between pieces. The program should include pieces which reflect a wide variety of styles and periods. This may include single movements of works, sonatas, concerti, and unaccompanied pieces. It is not necessary to perform all movements of a single work but any individual movement of a work must be performed in its entirety. Cuts may be made in the accompaniment and repeats may be deleted. Entire variations may be omitted, as long as a minimum of 75% of the piece is performed.
Procedures and Deadlines
- Applicants must apply online, upload mp3 recordings of the preliminary round repertoire, and pay the nonrefundable application fee ($40) using the form below.
- All entrants must be current members of the Texas Flute Society in order to participate. Entrants may join either before the competition application is submitted (use the Individual Membership Application form) or when the competition application form is submitted.
- Entries must be submitted by March 1, 2017.
- Preliminary round recordings must be unedited. Each selection should be recorded individually in one performance.
- There must be no speaking on the recordings.
- There must be NO identifying personal information in the MP3 tags of the recording.
- Entrants are advised that the recording quality may affect results of the preliminary round.
- Semifinalists will be notified by April 1, 2017.
- Flutists selected from the preliminary round must be prepared to submit their entire 25-minute program for the Semifinal/Final Rounds by April 15, 2017.
- Semifinalists & finalists are responsible for the accompanist’s fee. A $40 deposit will be due in advance.
- Semifinalists & finalists are responsible for their own travel arrangements and expenses.
- All performances are open to the public.
- All judges’ decisions are final.
For more information, contact the Competition Coordinator.